Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Mr. Darcy

I just finished watching "Pride and Prejudice", the one with Colin Firth. The reeeeeally long one.  I survived and --putting my manly ego aside-- enjoyed it.  But I have this to say about it:
I don't get it.

I don't understand what every single female finds attractive in Mr. Darcy.  He's a rude, socially inept man who doesn't smile once in the entire film except on his wedding day.  I know, of course, that his curt arrogance disappears once you get to know him better.  But even when he acts like a normal human he really isn't very exciting.

Oh dear!  This sounds so ridiculous, coming from a man!

I suppose that the only way for me to get a complete idea of what makes girls so excited for Darcy would be to watch all of the films and read the book.  Unfortunately this requires more effort than I am willing to make.  After all, a guy can only take so much "Austen" at a time!

Allow me to clarify that I have no interest in becoming like Mr. Darcy or picking up any ideas from him.  I am merely curious as to why girls rank him up there with the Disney Princes, Edward Cullen, and Mr. Knightley...


Hey guess what!  Tomorrow evening I'm going to one of Avraham Gileadi's firesides!   He will be giving a lecture on the biblical history of the Isrealites and how it is a type and likeness of our day.  It should be really good.  I'll take notes so I can tell you all about it if you ask me.
....

I have nothing more to say tonight

5 comments:

A said...

I know! I know! I can tell you!
Girls swoon over princes, Darcy, and Edward, because of their romantic spills and speeches. Talk of how they were in love the moment they met, how they are completely changed to the bone, and how they would be lost without said damsel.

I myself would easily fall prey to such talk...
you know, if it wasn't cheesy as Gouda.
its the need to be adored.

pathetic, but its only human.

Rex Vallis said...

Check out the book "Wild at Heart" - the author says that women desire to be captivating to the men they adore. Actually, you can also read the author's book "Captivating" as well...

I don't think it's pathetic - I think it is a reflection of our deepest convictions and passions. We just often misinterpret and misunderstand them, and so we don't always stay faithful to them.

Breanna said...

I can tell you why I'm in love with him. He has simple human flaws that we all know exist: pride, prejudice, arrogance, and somehow he manages to overcome them. At the same time he is quietly playing the hero behind the scenes, which makes his actions even more meaningful. This alone completely melts me. He never wanted praise or acknowledgement for what he did. I also love that he never gives up on Elizabeth. She hates him, and he adores her. Oh dear, I could go on and on. Logan, you don't have to watch all the movies and read the book to understand, but I would recommend watching the newest version with Keira Knightley. The actor for Mr. Darcy does a wonderful job. Seriously, you can borrow it any time.

Logan Thomas said...

Hmm. Perhaps the Colin Firth version simply does a poor job of portraying all of...that stuff.
The newest version with Keira Knightley, you say? And her chin too?

nattiebittie said...

Yes, of course, her, ummm...biggish chin ;)






Sorry