Sunday, October 26, 2008

How ya been?

Today I picked up a solar panel from the roadside.  Technically it doesn't belong to me but I'm going to keep it.  It powers a few LED lights.  I think it would be fun to alter it so that it powers...something cool. I dunno what, but something..

I've been reading Golding's Lord of the Flies.  I have hardly been able to put it down because at each turn of a page I expect them to start tearing into each other.  It is a twisted, gripping little book.

I also framed a picture today.  I covered an old wooden frame with a whole bunch of coins from my collection.  France, Germany, Argentina, Dutch Antilles, Barbados, Seychelles, South Africa, Isreal, Jordan, China, Thailand, Italy, Turkey, Malaysia.  They come from everywhere and in all shapes and sizes: square ones, wavy-edged ones,  big fat ones, heavy ones, wafer-thin ones.  
I didn't put a single Euro on the frame.
Each coin on the frame is its own sovereign nation.  A nation which governs its own land.  A nation with the responsibility of caring for its own people.
I didn't put a single Euro on the frame because I feel that it represents a break-down of that system.  An undermining of nationalism.  Unifying national governments into continental governments like the European Union or the American Union consolidates too much power into too few hands.  It distances the governing body from the people.  Such power inevitably falls into the wrong hands.
I didn't put a single Euro on the frame.

Yesterday we tried to cook our meal in a solar oven.  We failed because we didn't actually put much planning into the oven's construction.  But it was the idea of the thing!  I don't know about the rest of the family but I found the whole thing really interesting.  Of course I have heard of solar ovens before but I didn't think they were so practical and...possible!  Did you know you can boil water in the dead of Utah's winter in relatively no time at all?
It will be really fun to learn how to construct an efficient oven which is large enough to cook for our entire family.

Gawl, I just have so much to write about tonight!

I received a brochure from Deep Springs College.  It is a college in the Middle-of-Nowhere, California and it is the coolest college I have ever heard of.  The student body consists of twenty-six men (no women).  The students make all decisions in the management of the college including admittance of new applicants, hiring and firing of staff, and courses taught.
The campus is home to 300 head of cattle, goats, chickens, geese, sheep, milk cows, an alfalfa farm, and a large garden.  All students participate in in maintaining and running the ranch.  Everyone takes turns at different duties, feed man, dairy boy, butcher, baker, cook, labor crew, etc.  Tuition is free for all accepted applicants.  There are two set-in-stone rules: no alcohol or drugs, and no leaving the valley during the term.
Oh, I can hardly tell you how cool this place looks!  Check out their site here!


Alright, I will end here because it is late and my laptop is starting to overheat...


3 comments:

Kimberly said...

What's the link to Deep Springs? I want to see...

Breanna said...

Coolio! We have a solar oven too. My mom was actually making one about a week ago. We'll have to have a solar oven cooking party sometime.

Rex Vallis said...

Check out this college too - it's pretty cool:

http://www.hillsdale.edu/

Or this one:

http://www.gw.edu/